With an experience as (pardon the pun) momentous as Momentum was for me, I think I have been waiting for my brain to come up with properly earth shaking prose to describe the experience before I wrote a real post. My Momentum (from here on out Mcon) trip was in turn validating, awe-inspiring, earth shaking, exhausting, exhilarating, and overwhelming-in-a-good-way.
As I said in This Sex Geek Is Going To Momentum I had spent most of my career dying to attend a conference. Attending a con is an inherently privileged act, until now I had never had the money to devote to such a luxury. Thankfully I had Sex-Positive Sugar People (most notably my amazing con date Cassandra Disque) to help me get there. I have a personal affinity for the concept of fate and as fate would have it this was the perfect con for me to pop my cherry on.
A moment by moment play by play would take days to write. Even then I’d leave many important details out so this is more of a generalized collection of highlights, memories and moments.
Friday can be summed up by ‘holy fuck Carol Queen‘. She is my idol in ways I cannot express without devolving into fangirl hysterics. If you asked me one person alive today that I would most want to meet, it would be her. Idol, hero, legend, Goddess. Her book Real Live Nude Girl changed my life. We picked her up from the airport. I got to chat with her about toys, Texas, not being morning people. Somehow I managed to not make a fool of myself or simply sit in the backseat of Cass’ car staring at the back of her head and whimpering. I am very proud of myself.
The opening panel and Meet and Greet was glorious. Finally got to hug Robin, Ruthie, Shanna and my beloved Lilly in the flesh. It was slightly a blur of pure bliss. Within moments of listening to the panel speak, heroes every one of them, I was buzzing. These are my people! I belong here! After what has felt like 6 lifetimes being a little sex-positive island I had found my tribe.
The rest of the weekend I rode that wave. I felt validated in a way that I did not know I was missing. There were countless amazing conversations, made so many new friends and had the chance to connect with so many fabulous people I have known for years. Actually missed a few sessions I badly wanted to see because I was too busy being a social butterfly, but those connections are well worth it. Every where I turned there was a friend or a smiling face. Thanks to the Mcon live blog of folks who were livetweeting their way through every session I’ve been reliving the con and catching tidbits I missed along the way.
- Walking down the hallway to Wet’s wonderful Recharge Room and passing Susie Bright who smiled at me. I almost swooned.
- Almost literally walking into Sarah Sloane and then getting one of the most fantastic hugs of my life.
- Hours spent on the roof of the Red and Black Ball bullshitting about the Toy World with Greg from Njoy
- Carol Queen
- Chatting with Jenny Block about the joys of living in Dallas
- Meeting, getting many much needed shoulder rubs and hugs from the dashing intern/AV guru who I hope to hang out with again very soon.
- Smoking too many cigs with Drew talking about football
- SEX GEEK BUS HELLO
- Toasting my Dad at the hotel bar with wonderful people
- Running around and making labrador jokes with Cass (inside joke y’all, couldn’t explain it if I tried)
- Being introduced to the SweatPants Revolution by the hotness that is Kaiboi
- Lilly. I’ve adored Lilly for ages but she’s even more dear to my heart now. It’s amazing to meet such a kindred spirit.
Ahh, I just cannot do the weekend justice. There are so many stories, people and adventures I am leaving out. Never have I been able to be so openly exactly who I am and have that accepted and celebrated by those around me. As much as I loved the conversation, I basked equally in quiet moments where I could just take everything going on around me in. There was no fear of alienating anyone with my thoughts, opinions, politics, or experiences. Moments of being completely and totally accepted are so few in life that I have written them all into my soul to pull out later on when times are dark.
Going into the weekend my only trepidation was if there would be a gulf between the Names and everyone else. I have many friends and connections within this bubble but I am by no means “famous” (for lack of a better word) and I hoped that there wouldn’t be a divide between those who are known and who are not. That fear was put to bed near instantly. I am 99% it was Reid who said at the opening panel that the better known folks were there for you to approach, to ask questions, to be resources because we’re all in this together. He talked about the “eating our own” that has gone on and how that behavior is detrimental to everyone. There were only two people that I would have liked to chat with who I did not simply because I was too tongue tied versus not feeling they were approachable.
Since returning home I have been energized in the best possible way. Picked up new projects. Come up with some Big Ideas. I am empowered.
I am already counting down the days till Momentum 2012.
Read Other Folk’s Posts About Mcon:
- Evil Slutopia – 10 Things About Momentum
- Momentum Recaps and Reflection(Conflicted eXXistence)
- Momentum: The Inspiration (uncensor: A Place for Dialogue)
- Crowne Plaza, Silver Spring MD Review (aagblog)
- Ep. 2 – Awksome (Fort Dork – podcast)
- Finding My Own ‘Momentum’ (Deviant Dance)
- Why MomentumCon Rawks (Poly Weekly)
- Sustaining the Momentum (Practical Polyamory)
- Momentum Con – Part 1: These are My People & Momentum Con Part 2: The Bubble (Dangerous Lilly)
- My First Burlesque Show (Imagine Today)
- #mcon Rehash (The Whore Poet) *
- An Extraordinary Gathering (and Gathering of the Extraordinary) (The Green Light District)
(Did I miss your post? Comment so I can add you to the list of goodness!)
*I have a post in response to this blog update coming.
About PSG/Crista AnneCrista Anne is a Progressive Pleasurist, Executive Director of Dildology.org and Sex-Postive Parent with her Partner In Everything - X. Valentine Orenda. She loves sleep, coffee, rainbow hued anything and her beloved Green Bay Packers.
Follow her @Pinkness on twitter.
Tag#self love abortion babeland best seller blogging blog posts I didn't write bullet bullshit carol queen Changes clitoris contest Ducky featured g-spot good vibrations Love U masturbation Mcon Metis national masturbation month News orgasm personal porn rabbit random reposts review sale self-pleasure sex-positive sex education sex geek sex shop sex toy bloggers sex toys silicone tantus vain video Violet Blue wanton wednesday waterproof what is this I don't even
- Coming out of Retirement for Dildology
- Poly Mom, NY Mag Sex Diarist, and Reading The Comments
- Rainbow Romp
- This is a sex blog, but this is not a sexy post
- So, perhaps I should address why PSG went dark for two years….
- Donate to Dildology
- DILDOLOGY.ORG Debuts, Provides Independent Validation Of Sex Toy Materials
- I should answer my own questions (tw: passing mention of sexual violence)